Well, we're back from our trip to Germany. It was the first time that we took our annual trip in the summer. Normally we go at Christmas time, but we decided a while back that we would probably get more out of a summer trip and I think we were right.
Don't get me wrong though. Germany at Christmas time is beautiful and wonderful. We do miss sledding in the snow, the Christmas Markets, the Gluh wein, and the delectable Christmas cookies. But, it also gets dark very early in the winter, which means less time to spend with all of our family members whom we only get to see once a year. And not that I mind the cold weather, but it gets really cold to the point where you can't really go out and do much.
Whereas on our trip this summer, we played outside until 9pm almost every day! Even Baby stayed up past his 7:30pm bedtime and had a blast.
DH's family lives on the edge of the Black Forest, which is such a beautiful region of Germany. We took a few day trips here and there. One day to Lake Constance, and another day to Strasbourg, France. It was nice to know that I haven't completely lost my ability to speak French. Overall, we had a fabulous time.
There was a sad element to our trip and that was that FIL is not as well as we had hoped. He has aged considerably in the 8 months since we saw him last and he appears very gaunt and more frail. He enjoyed spending time with his one and only grandchild, but not as much as if he were more healthy and happy. In any case, Baby Boy definitely charmed him and the rest of his relatives.
Here are some of the pictures from our trip. Enjoy!
Typical German Architecture and the beautiful flowers everywhere

5 comments:
sorry to hear FIL isn't doing that great but it looks like a great trip!
How awesome...looks like y'all had a great trip!!
Those pics are gorgeous! I'm jealous. We're stuck with no vacation this summer until I get the heck out of grad school. But next summer we may be in Bavaria for a very short stint in the middle of a longer vacation. Can't wait.
Welcome back, sounds like you had a great time. I love Germany and hope to get back there one day.
What an amazing trip! I'm sorry that your FIL isn't doing well. I'm not surprised that Baby charmed everyone--he's quite the charmer. :-) Glad you're back and looking forward to our lunch!
Post a Comment